Tips on overcoming perfectionism
Ⅱ. Tips on overcoming perfectionism (对待完美主义的小秘诀)
First, understand yourself. The way to overcome a maladaptive perfectionism can begin with your perception or awareness that you are suffering from perfectionism.
- Think about when and why your perfectionism began.
- Determine whether it is helpful or problematic to you.
- Determine whether it is a rule you've made to do well yourself or a habit you've created to win the recognition from your parents or important others or avoid scolding and criticism from them.
Second. do the rational thinking. The biggest problem of the maladaptive perfectionism is that it makes you commit a cognitive error.
- Stay away from the prescriptive, dichotomous, and irrational thoughts. (I have to be perfect; I have to do well; I have to be successful, I have to get the first class in my class, otherwise, there is no meaning; etc.).
- Recognize that everybody has different specialty, ability, and preference.
- Do not stigmatize yourself as a loser after comparing yourself with better people around you and feeling inferior to them.
Third. Learn through your mistakes. Maladaptive perfectionists often miss a chance to learn from mistakes because they tend to think of small mistakes as big failures.
- A small mistake does not mean a complete failure.
- Do not give up what you are doing to the end even if it is not the best
- Learn from mistakes and try to get better outcomes in the next opportunities.
Fourth, be faithful to reality. Do not forget that the possibility of your being perfect disappears if you are not faithful to reality.
- Try to get better every day
- Do not be entangled by perfectionism that can not be achieved, but focus on what you can do and put it into practice
Fifth, Have a positive conversation with yourself. You need the ability to see your pros and cons in a balanced way.
- Say to yourself, "It's okay".
- Even if you do not like it, or even if you've made a mistake, forgive yourself.
- Find out how to recognize and love yourself (self-compensation).